Surf Lakes Turns 5!
FROM BACKYARD TO THE WORLD!
On 1 July 2016, Surf Lakes Holdings Ltd was formed with Founder Aaron Trevis and Co-Founders, Dr Chris Hawley and Reuben Buchanan. Prior to that time, smaller 1:25 and 1:10 prototypes had been built by Aaron Trevis and the help of Engenuity Solutions (Dr Chris Hawley, Kit Sidwell). But on that day, the small machine was sitting in Aaron’s yard in Brisbane, waiting for a new home.
With the support of Axstra Capital (Reuben Buchanan, Wayne Dart, Karolina Grubel), Surf Lakes set about raising capital to continue the work and Dr Charles Foster allowed the team to build the 1:5 prototype on his property in Broadford Victoria.
Through this breakthrough we refined the bathymetry and tuning of the machine, whilst designing and patenting the drive mechanism, ready for the full-scale prototype in Yeppoon.
The wave pool industry was starting to grow, and the need to show surfers on waves was apparent. The R&D facility was constructed,and first waves were created in October 2018. Since then the Yeppoon R&D facility has been refined in front of a growing chorus of support and like any start up there have many highs and equal lows… but we are now proudly moving forward rapidly! Thank you for your support and encouragement.
SO WHERE ARE WE NOW?
- The Yeppoon facility has been tested showing all five levels working simultaneously
- The team has grown to 28, plus board and contractors
- Machine design and engineering has been refined and is now in detailed commercial design phase, in readiness for construction of multiple commercial sites
- Global media coverage continues with hundreds of enquiries
- A strong project pipeline is in place, spanning the globe, with 19 projects and counting (see new projects below)
- Plus there are many more projects in discussion, in UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia, USA and Australia–to be announced as they are confirmed
- The upgrade to the Yeppoon R&D facility is in planning application now and will possibly be the first commercial site.But there are sites in USA closing in fast with a view to turn soil this year
- Sites on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane and Sydney have been earmarked and discussions are continuing
- In a short time, we have moved from an idea to commercial reality, with solid products, growing revenues and an exciting future, as we expect to become the leading technology for developers wishing to create compelling destinations.
In a short time, we have moved from an idea to commercial reality, with solid products, growing revenues and an exciting future, as we expect to become the leading technology for developers wishing to create compelling destinations.
To learn more about Surf Lakes watch the corporate video